The Vicar and the Artist


March 27, 2011

The exhibit at Hilda and Patrick Arts was deeply moving. Especially my conversation with the Vicar, The Rev. Cynthia Espeseth.

Mother Cynthia asked me how I created my painting "Tall Heart."I explained that I love the minimalist color field approach. As I paint, usually figures or shapes emerge from that field. Mother Cynthia said that's the same way she creates her sermons, "from a universal field."

She said she saw the story of Abraham and Sarah in the painting. "Tall Heart" reminded her of how the angels came to Sarah and told her of the birth of her son Isaac.

Then she asked me if she could take a picture of it and use my painting as inspiration for one of her weavings. She is an artist too.

And finally, (yours truly was in tears of joy at this point) she said that she had given the congregation study exercises for the weeks before Easter. This week's "assignment" was to sit in front of my paintings and pray.

I have never been so touched by how art can make connections in the right place at the right time between kind and gracious hearts.

It was the best birthday gift I have ever received.

Golden Vase

Golden Vase
Exercise from Burridge workshop